Lawson’s, A Cuyahoga Falls Original

Share the history
  • 214

Lawson's Portage Trail

This Lawson’s was located on Portage Trail.
In 1939, a dairy owner named James Lawson started a store at his Broad Boulevard dairy plant in Cuyahoga Falls to sell his milk. The Lawson’s Milk Company grew to a chain of stores, primarily in Ohio. Lawson was bought out by Consolidated Foods in 1959. Shortly afterward, in 1962, James Lawson died from injuries suffered in a head-on car crash on Graham Road near his home in Stow.
Consolidated was renamed Sara Lee in 1985. At about the same time, Lawson’s stores in the United States were sold to Dairy Mart, a smaller chain of convenience stores located in Enfield, Connecticut. Dairy Mart moved its headquarters to Cuyahoga Falls, renamed the Lawson’s stores, and operated the chain as Dairy Mart for the next 17 years.
In 2002, Alimentation Couche-Tard of Laval, Quebec bought the assets and name of Dairy Mart. Most of the former Dairy Mart stores — many of which were either originally Lawson’s stores, or were located in communities in which Lawson’s once had a presence — were converted to the Circle K brand. Due to popular response from consumers in Ohio and elsewhere, it was announced that Lawson’s Chip Dip would continue to be sold “no matter what the name of the store”, as was reported in the Akron Beacon-Journal.